Brandon Times, August 17, 1899
BLY--Adelbert M. Bly was born
Dec. 19, 1837, in the town of Eaton, Madison county, New York. And died Sunday, Aug. 13,
1899. He was the eldest of seven children of whome five survive him. He came with his
parents, brothers and sisters to Wisconsin in 1854, and they settled on the old homestead
in the town of Metomen now owned by Asa F. Bly. He acquired a good common school
education, and afterwards attended Ripon College a few terms. Taught school many winters
in this town and was superintendent one or two years.
The fifth of August, 1862, he enlisted, and served in the 32nd Regiment until
the close of the war. First as a Corporal and when discharged was First Lieut. But the
long tedious march with Sherman "From Atlanta to the Sea" undermined a
constitution not robust at best, and years of suffering have been endured for his love of
country. He never regretted the sacrifice, but always cherished the memory of his old
comrades in arms, and their visits to him during his long term of invalidism, were counted
his greatest pleasure.
In 1867 he was married to Anna Burdick of the town of Green Lake who with
three children, Mabel, Myrtle and George, are left very lonely. For a few years after his
marriage he worked on his own farm, but it was with great pain and weariness. One piece of
work after another had to be dropped from his crippled hands until fifteen years ago he
felt he could do no more. Rheumatism was master. Of his sufferings since then no one can
know, but rest has come at last.
He was concerted under the ministry of Rev. R. M. Webster of the
Congegrational church in Brandon during the winter of 1871. The following summer, he with
his wife united with the M. E. church at Reeds Corners, of which he has ever since
remained a member. Although deprived by ill health of the priviledge of attending divine
service, he never lost his faith in God, but trusted when life's dark days were over, to
find a better and brighter world on high.
The funeral services were held from the home on Tuesday at 2 o'clock p. m.
and were attended by a large concourse of sympathizing friends from Ripon, Green Lake and
the surrounding country. Rev. B. F. Sanford, of Wausau, a former pastor, officiated,
assisted by Rev. S. A. Sheard of the Brandon M. E. church. Many beautiful floral offerings
testified to the esteem in which the deceased was held. He was laid to rest in our
beautiful little cemetery [Brandon] by his comrades of the Grand Army of the
Republic, there to await the roll-call on high.