500 BALES OF HEMP DESTROYED BY FIRE. TILE
WAREHOUSE AND CONTENTS BURNED AT FAIRWATER.
Brandon Times, May 25, 1931
A fire was discovered at the FairWater hemp factory about 3
o'clock. Otto Kunert turned in the alarm. The FairWater fire department had difficulty in
getting at the smoldering bales until one side of the tile building had been torn down.
The pumper threw water from the pond for 5 hours until it was
considered safe to stop. Since then half burned bales of hemp have been smoldering.
About 500 bales of hemp were stored in this warehouse, all of
which is spoiled. Both the building and the contents were well covered with insurance. The
cause of the fire has been laid to spontaneous combustion. The warehouse was packed
tightly clear to the roof with bales of hemp.