1847 Wisconsin Territorial
1850 Census (Partial)
Plat Map, Village of Seven Mile Creek (Lamartine)**
Civil War Veterans Credited to Town of
of the Village of Lamartine*
Wisconsin Gazetteers for the Village of Lamartine
Biography of Charles B. Broughton
This town, lying directly west of the town and city of
Fond du Lac, Township 15 north, of Range 16 east, was named after Alphonse de Lamartine,
the French poet and historian, who sprang into such wonderful popularity during the French
revolution of 1848. Before that time the town had been called Seven Mile Creek, an awkward
name, derived from the settlement on the creek about seven miles from Fond du Lac, and an
act of February 11, 1847, erected it into a legal town, the first election being held at
Peter V. Sangs house. The name was changed to Lamartine (Lam-ar-teen) by an act approved
August 8, 1848. The first settler was John Parker, Jr., though the first location and
claim of land were made by Edward Beeson in 1837, and perfected by Peter V. Sang in 1840.
The former began residing upon the lather's farm early in 1842, and, in August, 1842, Mr.
Sang became a boarder in the Parker family. The next settlers were John Parker, Sr., J. M.
Loomis, Samuel Bacon and, soon after, others. The first child born in the town was Martha
Parker, in February, 1843.
The first death, John Parker, Sr., in September, 1844. In January, 1847, S. Westfall, aged
forty-five, was frozen to death while crossing Lamartine to his home in Oakfleld (then
called Lime) with a yoke of
The first marriage was Cyrus E. Stowe to Hannah M. Hooper, a step-daughter of P. V. Sangs.
The first school was taught in the fall of 1847, by Russell Northrup, in a schoolhouse
erected that year on Section 31. The town now contains eight schoolhouses and twelve
districts, the schoolhouse at the little village of Seven Mile Creek being the largest in
The first sermon was preached by the Rev. Morgan L. Noble in 1844, in Peter V. Sangs
house. The town now contains four church edifices - one Baptist, two Methodist and one
Catholic, the Methodists erecting the first on Section 34, about 1859 or 1860.
The first post office was established in 1845, called Seven Mile Creek, and Peter V. Sang
was the first Postmaster, which position he retained twenty years. George H. Ferris is the
present Postmaster, his office being now called Lamartine.
The first store was opened in Peter V. Sangs building at Seven Mile Creek, in 1846, by
The first town officers were: A. C. Everest, Chairman; Thomas Magee and C. H. Warren
Supervisors;. P. V. Sang, Clerk; J. H. Fancher, Treasurer; William Magee, Assessor, and C.
B. Stowe, Justice of the Peace. A. D. Nash is now Chairman; George H. Ferris, Clerk; H.
Gilbert, Assessor; James Galland, Treasurer, and George H. Ferris, Justice of the Peace.
The first hotel was opened by Peter V. Sang, as soon as he had made a settlement. He did a
large business, but now there is little hotel business done in the town. The Lamartine
House, built in 1860, is kept by Charles De Voe, at Lamartine.
The soil of Lamartine is somewhat different from that of other towns. It is of a whitish
clay mixed with black loam; the lowlands are deep, rich and dark, while several large
marshes are unfit for cultivation. Section 17 is largely a marsh, and the Lamartine Peat
Fuel Company's tract of peat is in this town. The northern portion is the most heavily
timbered. Sheep-raising, dairying and raising grass form almost as important branches as
grain-raising in Lamartine.
There is neither mill nor water-power in the town, though the West Branch of Fond du Lac
River flows across the northeast corner, and a branch of the East Branch takes its rise in
the center of the town.
The Sheboygan & Fond du Lac Railway crosses the northeast corner, but only a flag -
station, called Woodhull, which is also a post office, is maintained. This office was
named after John Woodhull, for nearly twenty years Deputy Postmaster of Fond du Lac.
Lamartine Post Office, or Seven Mile Creek, is the
business center of the town. Orchard Brothers have a wagon factory; G. H. Ferris and the
Wisnoms stores; besides blacksmith-shops, cheese-factory, schoolhouse, two churches, a
Good Templars Lodge and shoe-shop. In May, 1848, Peter V. Sang wrote as follows to one of
the Fond du Lac papers:
"Just look at it; it is but five years since Sang moved into this town, and was then
the only landholder in it; in fact, the only resident between Fond du Lac and Waupun,
remaining such for nearly two years; and now there are not over eight sections of vacant
land in the town not owned by actual settlers. We have, in the vicinity of Sangs place, a
tavern, blacksmith-shop, weaver, wagon-maker, tailors and mechanics, post office, land
agency, schoolhouse, and a number of other buildings. Arrangements have been made to open
a dry-goods and grocery store during the coming summer. Nearly one-third of the
inhabitants of the town and its immediate vicinity have experienced religion, of different
denominations, and the revival is still progressing. The credit for this is due to the
Revs. Card, Elwell, Burgess, Elsberry and other preachers of the Gospel."
The M. E. Church, first formed by Rev. Henry Requa, in 1836, has a good edifice for
worship and a good parsonage. The first meetings were held in the schoolhouse, but in
1859, the first building, costing $700, was erected. In 1867, it was rebuilt at a cost of
$1,000. The first Trustees were P. V. Sang, D. E. Hutchins, Asher Williams, C. H. Warren,
Ezra Stearns and E. Humiston. The present Trustees are J. Jackson, B. R. Harrington, G. W.
Jackson, William Warner, J. Fisher, F. Orchard, George Lang, E. Gibson and D. Walters;
Pastor, Rev. J. B. Coe.
The Baptist Church was organized April 15, 1848, at Cyrus E. Stowes house. The first
services were held in 1847, by Elder Burgess. Services were held in the schoolhouse on
Section 34 until 1861, when the church was built on land donated by William Townsend, at a
cost of $1,500, and dedicated in 1863. The first Trustees were A. L. Robbins, J. Fairbanks
and E. E. Crowe. Present Trustees - Samuel Wells, William Quick and James Walters.
On New Years Day, 1847, four deer were caught in P. V. Sangs barn, where they had taken
refuge from the cold.
History of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin,
Western Historical Company, Chicago: 1880***
* From Harney and Tucker, Illustrated Atlas Map of Fond du Lac County,
Wisconsin, Chicago: Lakeside Pub. and Print Co., 1874 (Wisconsin State Historical
Society library microfilm P72-1175).
** From C. M. Foote and J. W. Henion, Plat Book of Fond du Lac
County, Wisconsin, Minneapolis: C. M. Foote & Co., 1893 (Wisconsin State
Historical Society library microfilm P72-1172)
***Like many similar publications of the period, Western's 1880 history
relies heavily on interviews with early residents conducted many years later. Narratives
were subject to selective, sometimes creative recollection, and the resulting work should
be appreciated for the historical publication that it is but viewed with a critical eye as
a history. We caution viewers to verify the data contained in these early stories.
Appreciation to Ron Friedel for transcribing the text.