fairwater_header.jpg (13383 bytes)

Fond du Lac County
County Cemeteries
Town of Metomen
Village of Fairwater

Brandon Cem  |  Reeds Corners Cem  |   Round Prairie Cem  |  Swartz Cem  |  Union Prairie Cem  |  Wood Cem
        

FAIRWATER CEMETERY
Established 1849

George B. Peck

Son of Russell U. & Lydia B. Peck
was untimely killed near this place
by the accidental discharge of his gun.

May 14, 1849
AE 20
In the midst of life we are in death

This monument erected over the
first grave opened in this cemetery is
committed to the care of the citizens of
Fair Water by the father of the deceased. He also expresses his thanks to them for the sympathy they manifested in his great affliction.

Inscription on the first stone
placed in the cemetery (courtesy Cirena Lenz).
  
  

Fairwater Cemetery is located in section 29 of the town of Metomen, the northern edge of the village, on County Highway E. It was established in 1849, on land platted to David Newland, as a resting place for George Peck, twenty-year-old victim of an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The catalog has been developed from the card-based location system used by Arlene Erdman, the current caretaker, and is indexed both alphabetically and by row. Entries identify lot number and burial plot. Inscriptions have been recorded and transcribed by Kathleen and David Schuster and Pam (Schuster) Offerdahl.


Alphabetical Index:
A-B  |  C-F  |  G-J  |  K-L  |  M-R  |  S  |  T-Z 

Catalog by Section (North-Center-South) & Row (West to East):
N1-26  |  N27-38  |  C1-26   |  C27-37  | S1-26  |  S27-41


The cemetery is laid out in lots measuring 25 feet wide and 8 feet deep, each accommodating 6 burial plots. Plot numbering runs from north to south within each lot. As illustrated on the right below, the lots were originally separated by aisles or alleys 8 feet wide and running east and west. In many cases, these aisles are now occupied by burial plots. The rows formed by the lots are spaced 4.5 feet apart.

fw_cem_numbering2.jpg (13450 bytes) fw_cem_spacing2.jpg (8980 bytes)
  

fw_cemetery1910.jpg (8053 bytes)
Fairwater Cemetery, ca. 1910 (courtesy Winton and Cirena Lenz)

Lot numbers began at the north-south line (the dotted line in the diagram on the left above) bisecting George Peck's grave (Lot 52). With the need to expand the cemetery beyond the original 104 lots, a new section was created east of the original, and the entire cemetery also was extended to the south.

Over the years, the broad east-west aisles of the cemetery have been used to provide extensions for adjacent lots, holding up to two plots. Grave sites located in these alleys are identified as being in the "alley south" of the adjacent lot (AS#). The current configuration of 284 lots is shown in the diagram. Recently the cemetery has initiated another expansion to the north, identified as Block A.

 

Brandon Cem  |  Reeds Corners Cem  |   Round Prairie Cem  |  Swartz Cem  |  Union Prairie Cem  |  Wood Cemetery

Last Updated 2/19/2000

This page is part oft an ongoing project to collect information about the history of Fairwater and the town of Metomen. If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at rmschust@facstaff.wisc.edu or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716 (608) 221-1421.