Newspapers

Back to Fond du Lac County Home Page
What's New
In progress

  
  

AREA CLIPPINGS COLLECTIONS:
BRANDON SCRAPBOOK
FAIRWATER SCRAPBOOK

cav3_recruitad.gif (17781 bytes)
Recruitment ad for the 3rd Wisconsin Cavalry that appeared
in James Pond's Markesan
Journal, October, 1861.

The History and Directory of Green Lake and Waushara Counties and the City of Ripon, Prepared by Edgar R. Fox & W. T. Dudley, Berlin: Courant Book and Job Office, 1869 (Wisconsin State Historical Society microfilm Wisconsin County Histories, Reel 19), identified the papers published in Green Lake County to the time of its publication:
  
THE PRESS OF GREEN LAKE COUNTY
     The MARQUETTE MERCURY, a democratic paper, was established at Berlin in 1850 by Wells & Cooley.
     The BERLIN MESSENGER, a Whig journal, was established at Berlin in 1852 by W. A. Bugh.
     The BERLIN COURANT was established as a Democratic organ in July 1854 by J. G. Tracey. Sold to T. L. Terry in October, 1854, and was changed to a Republican paper, is now edited by T. L. Terry and W. B. Arnold.
     The MARQUETTE EXPRESS was established by Frank Hyde in 1857 at Marquette.
     The MARKESAN JOURNAL, edited successively by Schermerhorn, J. B. Pond and John Parker, was established in 1858.
     GREEN LAKE DEMOCRAT established at Berlin by Lu. H. Drury in 1858.
     GREEN LAKE SPECTATOR established at Berlin by Uri Carruth in March, 1861.
     BERLIN NEWS by Frank Hyde in 1861. [Note: Excepts from the NEWS appear in the WAUPUN TIMES in August, 1860; see the Ripon Booth War excerpts]
     GREEN LAKE SPECTATOR purchased by H. A. Phinney and removed to Dartford in October, 1864.
     PRINCETON REPUBLIC established February, 1867, by Thomas McConnell.
     There are two Papers being published at the present time in Green Lake County, the PRINCETON REPUBLIC, edited by Thomas McConnell, which gives to its patrons a choice feast of local and other news every week, and the BERLIN COURANT which ranks among the first periodicals of the State. While other publications have been brought into existence and have lived for a time and then have been discontinued, the COURANT has continued to the present time, its circle of patrons steadily increasing.

Following is a partial list of the Green Lake County newspapers in the microfilm collection of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin and available through its Madison library and Regional Centers (microfilm catalog numbers in parentheses).

Berlin Courant, 1859-1912 (See 1860 excerpts)
Berlin Daily Courant, 1885-1886, Eds. David Junor and L. E. Davis (P28881)
Berlin Journal, 1881 to date
Berlin Saturday Courant, 1887-1890, Eds. David Junor and L. E. Davis (P74-6283)
Dartford Advance, 1902-1907 (P28883)
Green Lake County Democrat (Markesan), 1879-1884
Green Lake County Reporter, 1919 to date
Green Lake Spectator, 1861-1866 (P78-1796, P68-872)
Markesan Herald, 1908 to date
Markesan Journal, 1859-1863 (for excerpts from 1861, see the John Parker Exchanges)
Markesan Regional Reporter, 1975-1978
Princeton Republic, 1867-1905, 1906-1937
Princeton Republic-Star, 1905-1906
Princeton Star, 1902-1905, Eds. E. R. Beebe and F. E. Clark
Princeton Times, 1935-1937
Princeton Times-Republic, 1937 to date


Last updated 2/17/2000 If you have information to shareabout these publications or are willing to assist in transcribing them , please contact Bob Schuster by email at rmschust@facstaff.wisc.edu or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716, (608) 221-1421.