_kewaskum.jpg (16184 bytes) Washington County Local History Web
Village of Kewaskum Local History Web
 

  

_map1878.jpg (28912 bytes) The town of Kewaskum is in the northern tier of towns in the county, and lies between Wayne on the west and Farmington on the east. The four northern tiers of sections in Town 12, Range 19, constitute the present limits of the town. In January, 1846, it became, by act of the Legislature, a part of the town of West Bend, which then embraced four townships. In 1847, Town 12 was set off and became a separate corporation under the name of North Bend. A still further subdivision was made in 1849, by which the town was reduced to its present limits and named Kewaskum, in memory of the old Indian chief of that name, who had recently died.
The town is watered by the Milwaukee River and a few tributary streams. The river runs in a genera; southerly direction through the town, dividing the village into two unqueal parts, the eastern being the larger. The general characteristics of  the soil, aspect of the country, etc., are similar to the southern sister towns, except that Kewaskum has a dearth of lakes. Otherwise the same beautiful farms, gently sloping hills and occasional hamlets are to be met with. (History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin, Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1881)

HISTORIES, PHOTOGRAPHS, NEWS CLIPPINGS

FEDERAL LAND PATENTS

COMMUNITIES


Last updated 5/21/2000 This site is part of an ongoing project to document the history of the village of Kewaskum. If you have information to share, please contact Bob Schuster by email at rmschust@facstaff.wisc.edu or at 6020 Kristi Circle, Monona, Wisconsin 53716, (608) 221-1421.